Monday, August 20, 2007

Some Observations

Teaching three year olds all day is really tiring! Last night Emily and I feel asleep at 8:30 while watching a dvd--I hope I'm not that useless all year! We went to eat at a good Thai place last night that my friends Allison and Taylor recommended, I got a really really good Thai currey for only 160NT which is about $5!! I will definitely be eating there again soon. I am really happy that we have been able to find so many great places to eat in such a short time because food is very important to me, and liking the food is a plus! It's amazing how inexpensive eating out is here.

Okay, I meant to mention this before because it is so funny: garbage trucks tend to run in the late evening, and you know they are coming because they blare all sorts of music. Kind of like an ice cream truck with the volume as high as possible, you really can't miss it. So a garbage truck went by the other day, and I couldn't believe it but it was playing "Fur Elise"--the ice cream truck version and only the first part of the song OVER AND OVER VERY LOUDLY. That is weird to me.

Most Taiwanese and some foreigners wear masks over their faces I am guessing to keep out the pollution? Does that really work? It just looks scary to me, like everyone is infected with some deadly virus. I am starting to wonder if I should get one too but I just can't bring myself to buy one. Emily got a really nice plaid printed one yesterday but it sort of suffocated her, I tried to warn her that it was a bad idea. Anyway, they make them out of cloth so you see all sorts of prints; teddy bears, polka dots, Burberry you name it. So strange.

Also, on a lot of scooters you will see people wearing what looks like big oven mits on their hands. I am still very puzzled about what they are for. My only guess is that when it rains it keeps your hands dry for gripping purposes??? I will find out and get back to you on this.

I notice strange things everyday and laugh to myself thinking "where the heck am I?"

Our snack this morning was a runny porridge looking substance with tiny minnows floating around in it. They still had their eyes and everything and looked really disappointed by their fate. Needless to say, I didn't eat it.

Well my break is almost over and it's time to go to lunch. I am a little nervous about what I will find in my food today...

3 comments:

JanetD said...

B-okay, this is my thrid try to leave a comment-I couldn't remember my password-uggghhh. Anyway, loved your pictures. Aunt J

Tim said...

So why don't you just TRY those fishy's once? Maybe they are yummy and that is why they keep giving them to you.

Unknown said...

keep writing while everything is fresh. It's wonderful and funny, too.

We'll try to remember not to serve you the fish...in your rice gruel, just as well loved for breakfast in Taiwan as grits some other places.