Sunday, August 19, 2007

Scooter Driving 101

Today I went for my first scooter drive. Going against all advice we have received, I started out my scooter driving experience with someone on the back (Emily), in heavy traffic going through downtown, and while it was raining constantly. We followed our lovely South African flatmates (Helga and Barbara) through the crowded streets and I am really happy to say that WE LIVED!!! The whole drive lasted about 2 hours as we stopped off in various shops and to have a bite to eat at Mos Burger. It was actually really really fun and exciting and I can't wait to go back out... I laughed the whole time.

Here are some rules I observed:

1. Traffic lights- green means go, red means go, yellow means go
2. Never look behind you or check your side mirrors, it's better to take your chances with what the people behind you are doing that risk the people in front of you stopping suddenly while you are looking elsewhere
3. It is okay to drive down the wrong side of the street
4. It is okay to suddenly stop and reverse in the middle of the road
5. Parking-it is okay to block people in so they can't move their scooter
6. If you get pulled over, play dumb
7. Weaving dangerously in and out of cars, busses and other scooters is necessary
8. If you want to turn left you have to go around the entire perimeter of the intersection until you get to the road you want to go down
9. No right on red, but if you want to, you can turn right on red

Now you too can drive a scooter in Taiwan!!!

6 comments:

B's Dad and Mom said...

I just letting you and everyone else who reads this nonsense know that I'm NOT paying to have anything left of your body shipped home. See if pre-need funerals are available over there.

Mrs.E. said...

Bethany, I see you have inherited the Wallace Writing Whit

Mrs.E. said...

Should that be Wit?

JanetD said...

Wow, Bethany, I'm glad you survived-and laughed too! Your students are absolutely darling! And you're getting paid to spend each day with them? I loved the pictures- makes it easier to think of your day- I hope you'll be posting some of your apartment and flat-mates.

Anonymous said...

great stuff!! I wish i had video of you driving. I can just imagine it. If anybody punched me in the face I would just picture you driving there and I would start laughing. That image would trump anything else that was happening to me.

Bethany said...

Yes Keith, that would be a very appropriate reaction to what you would see. I will try to get a video to you. I feel like a clown in a circus...