Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ni Hao!!

Emily and I are sitting in the computer lab at school during our break. Today was my first day to work with my co-teacher Glenn (the kids pronounce it Grin). He just got here from South Africa and has some experience teaching which is really good because I'm still totally clueless.

Lunch was rice, pork with carrots, cabbage with tiny little shrimps hidden in it which was really shocking when I discovered them, and guava. Everything was a bit dodgy except for the guava which was very nice. I love the fruit here, its so fresh and so ripe! There are lots of good places to eat, we had really nice sushi the first night I was here, and the pizza hut was great! But sometimes I'm not so sure about the food, at school it isn't the best. Emily and I were laughing the other day because once you eat this food for several meals in a row your taste buds go into shock. I was eating a rice cake and literally couldn't tell if I liked it or not. I couldn't tell if it was sweet or salty!! So I think it will take some time to get used to the food. So far half the time I don't know what I'm eating and I don't know whether or not I even like it.

Today I learned how to say bathroom in Chinese, it sounds just like "meow meow" but with an "n" so it's "neow neow". Until now I wondered why my kids were meowing at me at random times. Ohhhh, they need to go the toilet. Seriously, I have been saying things like "No, we aren't playing animals right now, we are coloring." Wow, language barriers are funny. I am learning words and phrases very slowly. I now know how to say what my name is (Bethany), bathroom (neow neow), and "I want an egg pancake". Egg pancakes are very good and I recommend them highly. Just say "Done bing" and they will figure out what you want. Tasty.

Well I am still trying to figure out how to get photos on here, I want to just put a link up or something. Help me. I hope to get that all organized soon so I can stop thinking about it.

Until next time.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

uhh, just in case your wondering, niau niau is about the linguistic equivalent of wee wee....so be careful about using it outside the classroom :-)

Bethany said...

yeah, i have figured that out...