Wednesday, August 22, 2007

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands

This week has flown by! Teaching has gotten easier and I don't feel as stupid as I did last week. I am starting to discipline kids now if they don't pay attention--it's actually kind of fun to be authoritative, but it's hard for me to take it seriously. Come on, they're three!! They should be playing!! It's kind of a weird balance teaching kids this young because they still need to be taken care of and they need some compassion but their parents expect teachers to maintain a pretty strict class so they learn a lot. I'm still getting used to that.

Today we have had 4 of our kids crying off and on, which is actually the first time any of them have surprisingly enough. One little girl cried the entire class but still participated, so she was just sitting there sniffling away and every once in a while a little sob would sneak out. It was hilarious because she still answered questions and it sounded so funny--you know how it sounds when you try to talk but you're crying?? She was very unhappy but she knew that she still had to do everything. It was really comical to watch. We have a Taiwanese teacher named Angela (she's so helpful and wonderful!!) who enforces the rules most of the time and helps explain things for us. My co-teacher Glenn and I share the teaching load so I actually only teach every other day. The days when I'm not teaching I just sort of help control the class.

Right, so those oven mits I mentioned earlier are for grip on the scooter. But it seems like they would just make your hands really sweaty and defeat the purpose. I'm not getting any for my scooter--they look stupid.

Emily and I went to FE 21 last night which is the big mall here. It's sort of like a miniature version of Harrods but Asian. It was really overwhelming how much stuff they have (Lyd--they have a great shop just for Hello Kitty and it's extremely high quality and expensive!!!), and not much if it is familiar. As we browsed through some cosmetics we noticed that they sell WHITENING LOTION. So it actually makes your skin lighter. In the US we sell tanning lotion here they sell whitenint lotion. As Emily said; "No one is happy just as they are." It is interesting because people will wear long pants and long sleeves when it's hot as blazes outside so they don't catch the sun.

Last night when I went into the kitchen to get water to brush my teeth I saw a massive roach trot accross the floor and under a cabinet--it was too fat to run. Such vile creatures. I haven't seen many besides that, only a few small ones here and there. As long as they stay in the kitchen and out of me room, and especially off of my while I'm sleeping, then I might survive the year.

While we were walking home yesterday we stopped by a stand where a man was selling sugar cane and he gave us some for free! It was really good too! People are so nice here, especially if you are foreign. We get waved at and people say hi to us all the time. I'm a somebody in Taiwan... (Ellie, no one has told me I look like a supermodel yet which is relly shocking).

We are going bowling with our co-workers tonight which should be exciting, I have been looking forward to it all week.

Well I think that's all I have to say today, looking forward to the weekend!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The "oven mitts" are to protect your hands from the sun and wind. It's probably good to use that whitening cream, too ;-)

Have you notices the standalone sleeves that end in elastic near the shoulders? Same song, second verse.

the bakks said...

I am so sad for the crying girl. What made her cry ALL day???

Also, I will go ask our nail salon friends what supermodel it is, and where they are actually from...maybe that's why no one is telling you that you look like a supermodel...you're in the wrong place with the wrong asians! :)

We're off, so I'll have to catch up on your happenings when we get back from "the north".

I hope that little girl has stopped crying by now.

MISS YOU!