Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In response to Aunt Mary's Email...

Kids here do go to school year round, they have about two weeks off in the winter and two in the summer. I don't teach on the weekends, but I'm not sure if they go to classes elsewhere. Lots of students go to Chinese school during the morning and English during the afternoon. Some kids go to bilingual schools so it isn't separate. The school where I teach is just for English. I teach at a private school so parents pay somewhere aroung $1500 US per month per child to send their three year olds to be taught by me!!! Unbelieveable. They don't have to start school at three although parents want their kids to be the smartest so they send them as early as possible. We have a class here for two year olds!! I'm not sure what their parents do but this city is where they make a lot of electronics and computer stuff so I'm guessing a lot of them are involved with that. My students are at school from 9am until 4pm, and lots of kids have piano or some other lessons after that. My students don't read or write yet, but they do speak a lot of Chinese (from the sound of it) and a fair amount of English already. Most of the students I am teaching were in the class before this one so they know their colors, shapes, ABC's and basic stuff like that.

The really horrible looking wound in the latest photo album I added was Emily's. She got too close to the exhaust pipe on our scooter and just melted part of her leg off... very painful looking eh? It's actually a really common thing here I guess because everyone is like "Oh yeah, that kills!"

Hope this answers all your questions and please ask more!!

No comments: