Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Timmy the Tooth

This evening Emily and I went to the dentist. I was a little nervous, just because I usually am when someone is examining me or using sharp tools near me. So here is how it went:

We found the place, which is amazing in and of itself. We waited approximately one and a half minutes, after filling out our new patient forms which required our name, phone number and address, and verification of our national health insurance card. No sooner had I sat in the waiting area than they called my name. The cleaning was very quick, but sort of unnerving to have two people looking over you, speaking Chinese, and laughing. When it was over the dentist told me that he saw a "black hole" and did I want to get it "repaired." So of course, my response was "is it going to hurt?" and he said "no, it's just a small one." Then he told me that he wouldn't even need to give me a shot. I was thinking "yeah right Dr. Chung (his real name), ain't happening." Then I said "I don't think so, I am a baby." Then he said, "Oh! Congratulations!" and then I said "Uh... no. I'M a baby." Then, after an awkward 30 seconds or so, I totally surprised myself by saying "ok," which I was not expecting to hear myself say at all. So I allowed Dr. Chung to drill into my tooth, and give me a filling, with no pain medicine or any time for emotional preparation on my part. HOLY MOLY. Some of you who are reading this probably can't believe it. True story. Apparantly I am growing up [finally]. And get this: IT DIDN'T HURT ONE BIT. 100% PAIN FREE.

The best part though, was that I was in that office for a total of 30 minutes, and the whole thing cost me $150NT which at the current exchange rate is $4.60USD.

This whole ordeal reminds me of the time I was tricked by my parents and my dear friend Carlos, who is a dentist, to have one of my wisdom teeth pulled out with local anesthetic only. This episode ended with me sobbing at the age of 18 and Carlos asking me to try not to scream so loudly because I was scaring his other patients. Hmmm. I have come a long way. I hope Carlos can read this, he would be so proud:)

I just hope my teeth don't fall out tomorrow.

P.S. I am spending New Years in the Philippines. Tickets have been purchased, and I am excited about getting a tan.

No comments: